Don’t Rock the Boat, Baby

Here is the latest video update on Lilly’s remaining neurological problems from meningoencephalomyelitis (inflammation of the brain and lining of the brain and spinal cord) after an adverse reaction to a rabies vaccine given January 23, 2012. While her symptoms are improving, many remain … including continuous body swaying and head wobbling.

I’ll let the latest Lilly recovery video provide what visual evidence it can, but I’ll take just a few minutes to explain what these remaining neurological symptoms are like in our daily lives.

As longtime readers know, I’ve worked at home Lilly’s entire life. She is my best coworker and friend. So, as I tap away on the keyboard, writing whatever magazine or web deadline looms next, I can see Lilly out of the corner of my eye swaying.

She is fond of putting her chin on my leg as I work, and I can feel her body rocking as I write.

Sometimes I get a bit queasy, surrounded by her constant movement.

Lilly and I, it seems, find ourselves in a boat buffeted in rough seas.

Eternal gratitude that we remain together, when there was a good chance our shared lives would be torn apart. Yet, it’s difficult for me to have my girl, my rock, my steady companion struggling to maintain her footing.

I tell myself it’s a brain thing. My heart argues that it’s more.

Once anchor … now boat. Once boat … now anchor.

Don’t rock the boat, baby. Don’t tip the boat over.

(If you’re too young to get that reference, here is a video of the song, with full lyrics. … Our love is like a ship on the ocean / we’ve been sailing with a cargo full of, love and devotion.)

15 thoughts on “Don’t Rock the Boat, Baby

1. Stella
    March 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I feel very encouraged by the progress Lily has made.
    Is she able to go for more than just a “pee” walk outside yet? It would seem to me like the more Normal things you can do with her (even abbreviated) would give her a feeling of things being OK. Does she have a bench she could lay on while she is very close to your work spot? Close enough to lay her head on your leg? She is such a dear little dog, we are still keeping her in our prayers and offering you our very best wishes.

Jo, Stella and Zkhat

1. March 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’ll have to try bringing a big foot stool into my office. Normally, Lilly is happy to lay on her bed under my desk and cuddle with my feet as I work. She has been very antsy. Plop down, get up. Pace. Plop down somewhere else. Get up. Poor sweetie. That’s especially true on steroids-on days, like today (Tues).

2. March 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Poor girl. And there’s nothing you can tell her to make her recovery easier.

I’m so sorry you are all going through this.
    Pamela recently posted..Do You Have Dreams for Your Dog?My Profile

3. Sue
    March 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Tsar did that swaying thing when this first started. He would stare at the floor and sway. I felt that he might feel dizzy. Now that he’s on medication, the staring and swaying have both stopped.
    Sue recently posted..Leap Year DayMy Profile

4. Jane Boursaw
    March 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm

It must be so disconcerting for both you and her. I’m holding onto the fact that she’s improving slowly. Thinking of you guys…
    Jane Boursaw recently posted..My Teenage Son Loves My Little PonyMy Profile

5. LeeAnne McAdam
    March 1, 2012 at 9:18 am

It is good to see Lilly improving. You all have really fought the good fight. We continue to send good thoughts and pray for all of you! Paws crossed she just gets better and better.

6. March 1, 2012 at 8:30 am

Oh, I keep sending postiive thoughts to you and Lilly each and every day, Roxanne!

7. March 1, 2012 at 7:46 am

Oh Lilly, you sweet girl….Slow steps. The one thing that I noticed is that her eyes are not darting back and forth so that tells me she is not suffering from too bad of dizzy spells which helps keep the nausea down.

I pray for little Lilly everyday and I am so happy that she is improving, however slowly. You are both brave and fearsome and we have great respect for you and how hard you are working to get back to a normal life.

Love
    Bert
    Bert recently posted..You Have Got To Be Kidding!My Profile

8. March 1, 2012 at 1:16 am

Hang in there, girls. (((hugs)))
    Jana Rade recently posted..Toxins? What Toxins? Are Our Dogs Being Exposed To Toxins Or Not?My Profile

9. kb
    February 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Definitely improving… although I can see why it would be tough for you to see that she’s not all better yet.

I’m wondering if there’s some kind of PT that would help. In humans with traumatic brain injuries or nerve injuries, there are therapies that help. I have no idea if they do those things for dogs yet.

We’re rooting for a full recovery, and my bet is still that you’ll get it.
    kb recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

10. February 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Watched the video…it’s utterly amazing to see how far she’s come. Hang in there!

11. February 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

She looks a lot better than she did in January.
    Susan recently posted..Bag the bag?My Profile

12. February 29, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your story with us. We will keep hoping for less boat rockin’ in your home.

13. February 29, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Oh poor Lilly. Though she is recovering it is slow. She does look better. She is such a sweetie I hope she has a full recovery!
    Bassetmomma recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Lazy Bassets (Myth Busted)My Profile

14. February 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Oh, sweet Lilly… I’m glad she’s improving, and I hope her progress continues. ((hug))
    Pup Fan recently posted..It’s Leap Day – real life is for March!My Profile