DIY – Doggy Snack Mix

Being such purveyors of praise around here, we go through a LOT of dog treats … very few of which are store bought. I came up with this particular “snack mix” when I needed something to put in food delivery toys that was low-cal. Clearly, the Cheerios work better for that than the Rice Chex, but this mixture has more of a party-planning, holiday flavor. Plus, it does NOT take long to make … so if you are short on time and have dog friends who need a little gift … it’s perfect.

Cheesy¬† Snack Mix (for pups … and people)

2 cups Cheerios

2 cups Rice Chex

Cooking Spray

1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, gently stir the dry cereals together. Continue stirring while lightly misting the cereal with cooking spray. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the slightly damp cereal and mix again.

Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray, and spread the cereal mix into a single layer on the cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes. Cool and wrap 1 cup in decorative baggies as gifts for your canine friends.

The truth is that any hard cheese that can be grated into fine nearly powder would work, so I’ve done this with Romano cheese as well.

Cheddar? Well, it’s too soft and gets messy.

Fair Warning!

The one drawback of this dog gift option is that pups might like it so much they dive into the snack mix meant for human guests.

11 thoughts on “DIY – Doggy Snack Mix

1. November 3, 2010 at 7:09 am

Oh…..this looks so delicious. I would give anything for my little doggie to still be with me, so he could have this!

2. November 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Roxanne.
    Big fan of making ‘good stuff’ for my Labradors. Of course, they are mooch hounds anyway. Labs will eat nearly anything. :-)

1. November 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Yes, labs pretty much will eat and eat and eat. I think it’s in the genes, along with being super sweet.

3. November 2, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Chicken fudge–now that’s a recipe I gotta see. I didn’t know that making a doggie mix could be such a breeze.

4. November 2, 2010 at 6:22 am

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing this. We go through pounds of treats as well, most of them home-made so I love finding new options to vary it up a little. I don’t know if my dog gets tired of tuna fudge, but I get tired of making it!

1. November 2, 2010 at 9:06 am

I used to make a LOT of tuna and chicken fudge. Often, these days, I just boil up an actual chicken breast and cut that up for training food.

5. November 2, 2010 at 5:32 am

That’s funny, Roxanne. As I read the recipe, I was thinking if I gave that to my dogs, they had better not encounter a bowl of Chex Mix made for the bookclub! :)

6. KB
    November 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I feel so bad for my K whenever I read these recipes. Not allowed… But, she could have the cereal part!

Pancreatitis is no fun…

I hope many other dogs get to enjoy it.

1. November 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I had not thought about the cheese for dogs like K. Good point. She can have the cereal, though. We do that all the time. Just straight cereal in toys or as low-cal training food, if we’re doing something easy.

7. November 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Yum! We’ll be right over! =)