Victory! Thank Goodness for GOOD Tech People
Quick update. On the advice of fellow bloggers, I hired a totally new website hosting company. The guy there was super helpful and moved all 4 of my sites for me. (Thanks, Charles.) I just had to update a few settings here and there, and voila … everything is now living happily on new servers with a new company. The best news? It fixed all the “tech” problems that my old hosting company said were my fault.
I knew that wasn’t true because I found a bunch of other people with other sites complaining about having the same problem I was having (connection reset errors).
Why I Fired My Hosting Company (after 10+ years)
It was so discouraging to have my old hosting company behave SO badly when I needed help. I spent hours and hours on my own trying to troubleshoot the issue with zero luck.
They’d moved me to a new server and a new hosting plan about a year ago, and that’s when things started to go wrong. Little things at first, then in recent weeks the blog became unusable.
It was working fine for all of you, but behind the scenes, I could not edit anything or create anything new without my connection being reset and me losing everything I’d just done.
So, I tried calling the company’s tech support for help:
The first time I called for help, they said my site had been hacked with malware and charged me about $155 to fix it. Except, the people fixing it found no hack or malware, but then went on to give me a whole bunch of generic instructions that had nothing to do with my site or how its set up.
The second time I called for help, they checked my internet connection path, which was PERFECT, then they had me delete a bunch of files in very dark / scary places behind the scenes of the blog inside super-tech files. It did NOT fix my problem, and I found out later was wildly dangerous for someone with my level of skill to do.
The third time I called for help, they literally lied and said that WordPress, which I use as my content management system, was NOT designed to be left open for editing for more than 10-30 minutes at a time (even though I was sometimes having connection reset issues after just a few seconds or minutes). Pardon the language, but that’s complete bullshit. Seriously.
The truth is that it was not my site or my plugins or my database or anything about me or my content. It was totally them.
How do we know that?
Because the only thing that’s different now is that I’m using another company, and my sites are working better and faster than they ever have.
I cancelled my services with the old hosting company and got refunds where I could. Unfortunately, I prepaid for some things and they refused refund any of that, even though I’m paid out for another 2 years.
For good measure, I manually deleted all my content from their servers. I’ve been married forever, but I suspect that’s what it feels like to finally ditch a crappy boyfriend. #goodriddancetobadrubbish
I could NOT delete the files fast enough.
Exciting Changes Coming!!
I still want to do a total redesign of how the blog looks in the coming weeks and months, but at least I can post again. Whew!
Thanks for your patience with the glitch on my end. Big plans in the works for the blog. Stay tuned!