Lilly’s Big Year
We have big plans, kids. Big plans for 2011. As first days after a holiday break go, Monday long Monday it has been. So, we’ll be brief and simply say that we’ll be talking herding all week. Goat herding that is … Stay tuned for videos, insights, and a few laughs.
Before the first giggle, though … a couple of news items.
- For quite a while now, Lilly has had her own Twitter account. If you use Twitter and want to follow her, check out @champofmyheart.
- As of just a few minutes ago, Lilly also has her own Champion of My Heart Facebook Fan Page. We’d love it if you “LIKE” us there as well.
We’ll be using both avenues, in concert with the blog, to share news, stories, photos, and videos.
Lilly Herding Goats
Last Wednesday, we tried Lilly’s herding talent and instinct out on goats, rather than sheep, for several reasons:
- Goats move slower.
- Goats are less twitchy than sheep.
- Goats typically weigh less and are less likely to hurt you, if an inexperienced dog sends them charging around.
- Goats flock a bit less than sheep, posing an interesting challenge for a green herding dog.
In the course of her one-hour herding instinct test, Lilly enjoyed three chances to show her stuff with about seven goats born in spring 2009 or spring 2010. I’ll post those videos over the next few days.
The headline, however, is this … it went really, really well.
I’m not saying Lilly is some kind of herding prodigy, but she loved every minute of it and showed good progress for her first time. (I let several friends with herding experience preview the videos, and they agree Lilly did well.) BUT, we won’t really know if she is truly cut out for this until she has 3-5 more lessons.
The bare instinct is indeed there.
And, now … without further delay, I present the song that’s been stuck in my head since last Wednesday. I wanted to edit a video of Lilly working the goats to this music, but I couldn’t figure out how to use the music without copyright infringement, and I ran out of time … anyway.
So, enjoy the song. I’ve always been a big Muppet fan.