Hiking With a Cat – Photo Essay

I learned an important lesson last Friday. Hiking with a cat is quite a bit different from hiking with a dog. It’s a lot slower process, and it shocks the heck out of people you encounter on the trails. Meet our friend BUG … the adventurous kitty from Wisconsin.

Bug has now hiked in 5 different states. She is a super social, unflappable kitty. At about 18 months old, she weighs just 6 pounds. I’ve blogged about her before, but I finally got to meet Bug in person. Bug hikes. She camps. She travels the country by car and plane. Bug is even learning to ride a paddle board, while wearing a tiny, homemade life vest.

She came to Colorado with her favorite person, Dr. Ken Lambrecht from Westside Family Pet Clinic in Madison, Wisconsin. He was in Colorado for a veterinary meeting, and he made time to visit me and Lilly in the canyon.

Lilly stayed in the car because even though she was feeling really well last week … I did NOT think she was up to a real hike of any distance. BUT, Lilly and Bug poked around together afterwards.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, hiking cat

Bug, the mighty predator

best dog blog, champion of my heart, hiking cat

Bug seeks a safe spot from dogs hiking by

best dog blog, champion of my heart, hiking cat

Bug considers a nap mid-hike

best dog blog, champion of my heart, hiking cat

Bug tries a little rock climbing

best dog blog, champion of my heart, hiking cat

Bug watches Lilly below

best dog blog, champion of my heart, hiking cat

Just a couple of girlfriends on a hike (notice Bug on the rocks above)

best dog blog, champion of my heart, border collie hiking

Lilly watches Bug scale the rocks

I’m trying really hard to MAKE time to see friends. Since Ken and Bug were only in town for the weekend, I ditched work for a couple of hours to get outside with my puppy-girl and to meet this amazing kitty.

12 thoughts on “Hiking With a Cat – Photo Essay

1. KB
    October 25, 2012 at 8:13 pm

He sure does look like an amazing kitty!!!!
    KB recently posted..Snow and bobcat mother-kittenMy Profile

2. October 25, 2012 at 9:03 am

I have a hard enough time hiking with the two dogs, never mind adding Bob the cat to the mix! :-)

Still I might try it if it was just me and the cat.
    Jodi recently posted..Dogs Helping DogsMy Profile

3. October 25, 2012 at 6:38 am

Awww, love this! We used to walk with our cat Bill all the time. What a cutie Bug is. And love seeing Lilly out and about.
    Jane Boursaw recently posted..Five Burning Questions for Parenthood Season 4My Profile

4. October 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm

My cat used to follow me when I’d walk the dog around the neighbourhood, but Bug is the cat’s meow! Cool kitty!!
    Karen Friesecke recently posted..Dog A Day Project – Leading A Dog’s LifeMy Profile

5. October 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Don’t tell my kitties I ever said this, but Bug has to be just about the coolest cat around!
    Remy recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Playing Dead?My Profile

6. October 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Love this….wonder if my kitty would like to go on a hike?? lol
    toni recently posted..Jackson Galaxy – Real Men Love Cats – Mens tshirt – American Apparel five colors by rcteesMy Profile

7. Jen
    October 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Bug is adorable! I love the look on Lilly’s face as she watches Bug.
    Jen recently posted..Halloween Dog Costume Photo Contest!My Profile

8. October 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Bug is one cool kitty! I love that she calmly gets herself out of harms way when she encounters strange dogs on the trail. I once had a cat that liked to go camping with me, but she wasn’t a big fan of hiking. I’m glad you and Lilly had a chance to meet Bug and spend some time with her. I hope you’ll share some photos and videos of Bug on the paddle board in the future!
    Susan and Wrigs recently posted..Back after a few days off!My Profile

9. Candy
    October 24, 2012 at 7:53 am

Amazing, I also never heard of a hiking off-leash cat. However, the most important part…these are great pictures of Lilly! She looks like her old-self.

10. Sam
    October 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

Wow! …and Bug isn’t on a leash? What an amazing kitty.

Sam
    Sam recently posted..The Happy Dance of JoyMy Profile

11. October 24, 2012 at 7:09 am

What a great story! That is one adventurous kitty!
    Ingrid King recently posted..Allegra’s World: new window perchMy Profile

12. October 24, 2012 at 7:05 am

Great story…never heard of a hiking cat! Makes me smile!
    Linda Martin recently posted..Team London is not a cupcake, but they are working their butts off for London: a 2-legged pitt bull puppy!My Profile