We’re making up our own rules for today’s Be the Change for Animals #BTC4A. Think of it as Being the Change for pets and our military veterans. Lilly and I encourage you to vote in America’s Pet Debate from Purina. For each vote in the Team Dog or Team Cat contest, Purina will donate $1 to Pet Partners’ Veteran Programs (up to $100,000). You can vote once a day.

Of course, we’re Team Dog all the way!

best dog blog, champion of my heart, purina pet debate

So, we’re bummed to tell you that Team Cat is winning. C’mon, dog friends. VOTE!

In addition to the main site, you can find the debate folks on Twitter @Petdebate and on Facebook – America’s Pet Debate.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, purina america's pet debate graphic

Perhaps you haven’t heard, but the Veterans Administration has decided that it will NOT cover the cost of service dogs for veterans with PTSD and traumatic brain injuries until a study on the scientific benefits can be completed. There are some legitimate concerns about standards for service dog training, but to cut off funding strikes me as an over-reaction. I’m sure it’s complicated. Still, it’s sad for veterans who would benefit from a service dog.

In the meantime, maybe visits from animal-assisted therapy teams can help veterans in their recovery.

Social media types will want to use these hashtags and such on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest:

• #PetDebate
  • #VoteDog
  • #VoteCat

And, they have some America’s Pet Debate graphics / profile banners you can download and use, if you’d like.

13 thoughts on “Newsworthy: America’s Pet Debate Benefits Pet Partners’ Veteran Programs – #BTC4A

1. Stella
    October 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I have been voting for the last week, every day, and the numbers never seem to change It stays Cats-55% and dogs 45% which just CAN’T be true.

Is it my computer, are other peole getting different numbers?

Stella

1. October 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

I keep seeing the same thing too, Stella. It isn’t just you.

2. October 18, 2012 at 6:20 am

America’s Pet debate has reached an interesting stage and I’m definitely casting my vote! Let’s see who becomes America’s favorite pet!

1. October 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oooh. I’ll have to go take a look.

3. October 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for writing about this, Roxanne! That’s a good exchange $1 per click, and $100,000 will get several dogs in the hands of vets who need them. And how about that VA – they can spend $6 million on HR conferences, and cut programs for vets in the meantime…

Thanks for spreading this word on Be The Change day!
    Mary E Haight (@dancingdogblog) recently posted..Be The Change, Be Heard, Up with Animals!My Profile

4. October 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Fun debate, and for a really great cause. I can’t wait to see who wins!

A.J.
    Be the Change for Animals
    I Still Want More Puppies
    Pup Fan recently posted..Six silly reasons to adopt a dogMy Profile

5. KB
    October 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm

We’re going to vote right now!
    KB recently posted..The winds of changeMy Profile

6. October 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

It’s a pretty tough call, though I am a little glad the cats are leading for once. They rarely do in real life. I am pleased to support such a great cause!
    Kristine recently posted..Blog the Change: Reasons Not to Adopt a CatMy Profile

7. October 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

::::chants::::

TEAM CAT! TEAM CAT! TEAM CAT!

uh…now where were we again…?

Seriously, we think of you & Lily often and purr for her road to recovery….we’re so glad the recent trip held good news for you! Paws crossed for continued good news, too.
    Rykerz Boyz ‘n’ Allie recently posted..Blog the Change: Pet Food Recalls and RadiationMy Profile

8. Cybele
    October 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

When asked if I’m a cat person or a dog person I say I’m Bi–Bipetual.

9. October 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Alas—no category for cats AND dogs together??? What’s a cat/dog person to do? What a dilemma!!! Come on Purena, you can do better than that :-).
    Debbie recently posted..Be the Change For AnimalsMy Profile

1. October 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm

“P.S.” LOVE your Border Collie! They’re such great companions, but oh-so smart!
      Debbie recently posted..Be the Change For AnimalsMy Profile

10. October 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

What a great debate! I don’t know how to vote – having two each of cats and dogs. In the end, the result is all deliciously and bipartisanly good so I guess it simply doesn’t matter. I just won’t tell either species in my house who I voted for.

Thanks so much for Blogging the Change!

Kim Clune
    Director: http://BetheChangeforAnimals.com
    Blogger: http://thisonewildlife.com
    BtC4animals recently posted..Oct 15: Be, Blog, Read, Share the Change for Animals!My Profile