Celebrating 20 Years – of Marriage, Not Blogging

Today is my 20th wedding anniversary. Indulge me — won’t you — as I wax a little nostalgic? This girl needs to celebrate every tiny thing. And, a big one now and then too.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, wedding invitation and poem

I’d forgotten that we used the following passage from a poem read at the wedding on our invitations. It’s called How Will I Know You? by Meryl Fishman. Considering all the worry and stress in recent years, it feels even more fitting.

I will look at you and see the strength

I have never seen before.

And I will see the sensitivity that

Will be a partner to that strength

And I will be become encircled in your glow

And thus will we walk together always

best dog blog, champion of my heart, wedding photo, 20th anniversary

You probably won’t be surprised to know that I wrote our entire wedding ceremony because I wanted to be sure certain things were said (and not said). For example, before we exchanged our vows, the minister / officiant shared our promises …

Not only to seek, but to find

Not only to find, but to accept

Not only to accept, but to rejoice

In all that we are and become together

best dog blog, champion of my heart, wedding photo, 20th anniversary

I promise to give and to receive

To speak and to listen

To inspire and to respond

In all circumstances of our life together.

I pledge you my love and my loyalty

My strength and my respect

Above all others

Forever

best dog blog, champion of my heart, wedding photo, 20th anniversary

Since we footed the bill for our own wedding and since I’m a bit of a feminist, I also walked down the aisle alone. There was no “giving away” of the bride.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, wedding photo, 20th anniversary

Just for fun, I’ll leave you with this last photo. Entertain me with your ideas on the backstory.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, wedding photos

16 thoughts on “Celebrating 20 Years – of Marriage, Not Blogging

1. April 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Hi Y’all,

My Human said to tell you that if the first 20 was wonderful and “of your dreams” that the next 20 gets even better…and she would know.

Y’all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog
    Hawk aka BrownDog recently posted..Have a Great Weekend Y’all!My Profile

2. April 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

Happy 20th Anniversary!! I hope you had a truly special day!
    Bassetmomma recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – It’s Here!My Profile

3. April 4, 2012 at 11:28 pm

You look so happy in the cake cutting picture! Love. My hubby and I celebrated 20 years married in 2009. That’s a long time to spend with the same person. Congrats for reaching this milestone!
    Kris @ Attainable Sustainable recently posted..Homemade Gluten Free Cheese CrackersMy Profile

4. Sheryl R
    April 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Happy 20th Anniversary!

5. Candy Blakeslee
    April 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Last picture — I think that you wanted a picture in a certain spot…that is why your husband is carrying you. It is obvious there is no way you could walk there in your gown.

6. April 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Truly a wonderful thing to celebrate. To many more!
    Sheryl recently posted..The Vogue Diet Mom and Her Daughter: Was She Mean or Justified?My Profile

7. Stella
    April 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Happy Anniversary to you both. Slip a piece of cake to Lilly E. please!

Kisses,
    Stella

8. Tamara
    April 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

Looks to me like he carried you off into the sunset at the end :) Happy, happy anniversary!

9. April 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

Happy Anniversary to you both! Enjoy your day and celebrate, this is a BIG thing!

10. April 4, 2012 at 8:09 am

Happy 20th Anniversary. Wishing you many more.
    HoundDogMom (Sherri) recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – 4/4/2012My Profile

11. Teresa Carlson
    April 4, 2012 at 7:52 am

Happy Anniversary! May you have many more years of joy, happiness, and prosperity. Love you!

12. Donna Kruft
    April 4, 2012 at 7:35 am

Congrats on 20yrs, that is a very big accomplishment! I am rather new to your website, but I love it! You seem to be a remarkable women.
    Keep doing what your doing its great. I love Lily and her story, she is a beautiful dog. Thanks.

13. April 4, 2012 at 7:29 am

Hope you both have a great day…Congrats!
    Linda Martin recently posted..Food fight: Miss Mamie’s wins $10,000 on Food Network’s ‘Cupcake Wars’My Profile

14. April 4, 2012 at 7:07 am

Congrats! I wrote our entire ceremony as well. Writers! Here’s wishing you another joyful 20 yrs+ together. Enjoy your celebration!
    Brette Sember recently posted..Introducing The Muffin Tin Cookbook!My Profile

15. April 4, 2012 at 7:00 am

Happy 20th wedding anniversary :-)
    Eileen recently posted..The weather againMy Profile