Optimism and High-Altitude Gardening

I cannot tell you how much I need a break on just about every front you can imagine. So, last weekend, rather that work / write, I dealt with some family matters, played with Lilly, and got the gumption up to go ahead and plant this year’s vegetable seeds. It’s WAY early. This may be my best year yet, or my biggest flop. Only time will tell.

In 2011, we had consistently cold temperatures and even snow through Memorial Day Weekend. While everyone else already had visions of summer, I still had flannel sheets on the bed.

Like many other places in 2012, spring that looks like summer is already here. Don’t get me wrong. It’ll still be crazy cold. It’ll still snow (we hope) on the mountain. And, yes, I’ll continue to have flannel sheets on the bed for at least another month or two, but I figured I’d put last summer’s best garage sale find — a whole bunch of wall o’ water for $5 — to good use by starting all my seeds a full TWO MONTHS earlier this year.

It’s sort of like making  a little greenhouse / insulator, even in my greenhouse, which is unheated.

It’d be nice to harvest something — anything — before August.

{Check out our 2011 greenhouse harvest report.}

Observe.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, my favorite baseball cap

My favorite hat

best dog blog, champion of my heart, greenhouse photo

My double-decker greenhouse planting beds. The back half of the top is unplanted for now. The back half of the bottom has cabbage seeds, which tend to do better in the "cold."

best dog blog, champion of my heart, greenhouse photo

Much of what I plant / grow is done in pots of various sizes. I have them on the floor now, rather than the shelves to the right ... mostly because they are heavy, including the wall o' water.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, straw bale gardening photo

Once again this year, I'm planting some things in straw bales as makeshift raised beds. So far the winds have knocked the wall o' water off several times, but I have them staked now, so we'll see.

If you’re an early planter, and you see anything amiss, please let me know. I do have plastic drop cloths at the ready, if nighttime temps get crazy cold.

***

P.S. If my week doesn’t improve, there might not be any blog posts for a few days. Since I didn’t work last weekend, I’ve been behind all week. The price I pay for *trying* to do just a few things I want to do, instead of only everything I have to do.

21 thoughts on “Optimism and High-Altitude Gardening

1. April 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

There have been studies showing that gardening and being exposed to nature and landscapes are all beneficial for mood. I love the idea of high altitude gardening.

2. Kyla
    April 2, 2012 at 6:58 am

Love the idea of the high altitude gardening. Me too, I like experimenting.
    Kyla recently posted..Athletes foot symptomsMy Profile

3. March 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I like your double decker greenhouse planting beds. Seems unusual to me. What plants you are going to put there? How about seeds on the pots? I actually host a weekly gardening link up every Friday on my blog. I’d love for you to drop by and join in.
    Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead recently posted..{Garden Life} Signs of lifeMy Profile

1. April 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

Thanks, @Tiffany. The double-decker beds in the greenhouse are unusual, I think. My hubby built them for me to maximize space. I’ve had trouble, though, with getting success on the bottom bed. Things get really leggy, reaching for the light. We’ve taken down the black mesh that we’ve used in years past to protect the top bed from scorching in the heat of summer. We’ll see if that helps.

Typically, I put various salad greens and peppers in the top bed. I’ve tried root vegetables (failure), beans (meh), and peas (failure) on the bottom. I did get a few okra last year, so that was interesting.

The pots usually house herbs, tomatoes, squash, and peppers.

Last year, I put cucumbers and 2 kinds of squash in the staw bales, with mixed success.

I’ll leave your note in my email box so that I remember to pop by on Fridays. Thanks for the invite.

4. Brien27
    March 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

These was interesting post.I will do my gardening this weekend with my family.
    Brien27 recently posted..In the 2010 Circle of Wonders HDMy Profile

5. March 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Wow…this is incredible work you’re doing. I hope you see new growth very soon.
    merr recently posted..stuck/unstuck: MEN UNDRESSED contributors talk internal conflict and writingMy Profile

6. March 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

When I lived in northern California, there was a guy who used water walls. We’d see them as we drove by. Every year he had a fabulous garden, and he was able to start long before the rest of us.

I hope these sprout and grow quickly for you!
    Kris @ Attainable Sustainable recently posted..Emergency Storage in Earthquake CountryMy Profile

7. March 29, 2012 at 10:52 am

I think there’s a therapeutic value in starting a garden. I hope it took your mind off your troubles. Here’s hoping for a very early harvest.
    Donna Hull recently posted..Taking a chance on Egypt: should boomers go?My Profile

8. Jane Boursaw
    March 29, 2012 at 9:02 am

Good for you for planting in the midst of all the stress. Especially when you have to take extra steps in your high altitude area.
    Jane Boursaw recently posted..Bully Documentary Gets an Unrated Theatrical ReleaseMy Profile

9. Shalani
    March 29, 2012 at 6:55 am

Hope all the seeds will grow..and have a bountiful harvest.
    Shalani recently posted..Tips To Lose Weight With HCG And Feel Great!My Profile

10. March 28, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Roxanne — Hoping for a great growing season and harvest for one of the most deserving people I know.
    ruth pennebaker recently posted..Thoughts While Hanging Upside Down, Kind of Like a BatMy Profile

11. March 28, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hope it’s a better week and that all the seedlings grow strong!

12. March 28, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I need your green thumb to rub off on me… I’m so bad at getting things going in the spring!
    Pup Fan recently posted..White dogs can’t catch…My Profile

13. March 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

This is really neat looking. I hope your garden does well! I’ve just about given up on gardening and joined a CSA.
    Brette Sember recently posted..Introducing The Muffin Tin Cookbook!My Profile

14. March 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Love your hat and your optimism! Keep working that dirt and may it bring forth many many vegetables this year!!
    judy stock recently posted..Having a Job is the New Green/Return of the Jobless AlumniMy Profile

15. March 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m always anxious to get everything planted in the spring, it brings such hope of what we can grow. I wish you the best on your garden this year!

16. March 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Planting and watching things grow make you feel hopeful. I hope your seedlings grow up to be beautiful, good-luck charms!
    Sheryl recently posted..Too Old for Allergies?My Profile

17. Debra Jones
    March 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story. A story that says, I survived.

– Fr. Craig Scott

Roxanne, you walls of water are awesome! I use them this time of year when I’m ready to put out my heirloome tomato seedlings. Last year this time it got down in the 20’s, but my tomatos did awesome with the WOWs!!! I love them! I never thought about using bales of hay! Planting helps me relax. Just planting gives me a mental lift and watching my garden grow decreases my stress level tremendously. You grow, girl!!! :o}

18. March 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Planting seeds always calms my soul, so I’m glad you are working in your garden. Have you tried baby’s breath? It’s a perennial that I bought one year, for some reason, from a high country gardening catalog and it has worked really well for me. Makes a nice flower in arrangements.
    Alexandra recently posted..Do You Eat Foods Containing GMOs?My Profile

19. Nicole
    March 28, 2012 at 8:39 am

seek something that capture your interest and you’ll see you will finish your work in time
    Nicole recently posted..http://www.flatratemovers.comMy Profile

20. March 28, 2012 at 8:00 am

Take the time to do something you love! If everything doesn’t get done the world won’t end. You’ll see! :)
    Bassetmomma recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile