Crusty Nose Wednesday

Amid all the worry about Lilly’s brain and the inflammation with the big scary name (meningoencephalomyelitis), I concentrated on the motor skills like walking and the importance of good balance. Lilly remains in a greatly compromised neurological state, and yet … it’s the side-effects and other issues that cause the most concern lately.

I’m happy to report that as of Monday night (2/13) … Lilly began having somewhat solid poops. On Tuesday, after 5 days on one tummy medicine, the veterinarians switched Lilly to another one that she can take long term, if necessary. We hope the solid / semi-solid trend continues. Fingers crossed.

Fair warning. The photo below isn’t as focused as I would like, but it gives you a good (read … graphic) idea of just how bad Lilly’s nose can get. Keep in mind, I’ve been instructed NOT to mess with it. I cannot clean it. I cannot try to help staunch the bleeding. Nothing … because they believe I only make things worse.

So, often we wake up to a face like this, and (for some reason) it makes me cry much more than seeing my once strong, agile girl stumble through her days.

best dog blog, champion of my heart, border collie with severly bloodied nose

Our poor girl can hardly breathe through her nose sometimes. Listening to her snort and wheeze or snore as she sleeps is super sad.

It doesn’t always look this bad, but still … sometimes big pieces of her nose literally crack off. It’s the combination of vasculitis (blood vessel inflammation) and oddly enough high blood pressure that we think is causing this trouble.

For your vocabulary buffs, the fancy word for nosebleed is EPISTAXIS.

I cannot wait for these symptoms and side-effects to wane. I’ll feel so much better — even if Lilly is wobbling around the house — when she isn’t expelling so many bodily fluids all day and all night.

15 thoughts on “Crusty Nose Wednesday

1. February 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Love and support, as always. Without the “support” of panic and adrenaline, these days must be super hard. We’re thinking of you all.

2. kb
    February 16, 2012 at 7:38 pm

We are thinking of Lilly. I really hope that these side-effects go away soon. Many hugs from us to you.
    kb recently posted..Savoring a bluebird dayMy Profile

3. February 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Oh poor baby. I can certainly understand why that would make you cry.

Still thinking of you guys every day. Here’s hoping this will over be fixed soon.
    Leslie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 27 – The faces of rescueMy Profile

4. February 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

Oh, poor baby. Like Ingrid, I cried just looking at the picture. It breaks my heart. Stay strong, I can’t imagine what you guys are going through. I keep hoping she feels better soon. :(
    Valerie recently posted..52 Weeks of Dogs: 6/52My Profile

5. February 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Poor baby girl! Poor MOM and DAD!! I hope she is better soon!
    Julie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday #20My Profile

6. February 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm

So sorry this saga is just going and going and going. I hope the poor doggie feels better soon!
    Alisa Bowman recently posted..How to See the Good in Bad PeopleMy Profile

7. February 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Every morning you wake up hoping that it will be all better … one day, though, it will be. (((hugs)))
    Jana Rade recently posted..Dog Cartoon Of The Week: Please Do Not Ring BellMy Profile

8. Saoirse
    February 15, 2012 at 10:52 am

Such a lot for a little girl to go through. She’s lucky to have her stalwart mom (and dad) to see her through.

9. Jen
    February 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

Poor Lilly :(

Baby steps, right?
    Jen recently posted..136th Westminster Kennel Club resultsMy Profile

10. February 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

Oh gosh, that would break my heart too. I would have such a hard time not cleaning it or putting a warm washcloth on it. It took a long time for Zephyr to have consistently firm stools. I know the joy you feel when it finally happens. She’s such a strong girl. Still sending love and healing thoughts every day. :-)
    Caron recently posted..Astro’s 1st Rally TrialMy Profile

11. February 15, 2012 at 8:52 am

Jo here. When I was a kid, we had a dog who had a fever, and the black nose cover looked bad. One day the dog bumped up against me, and the nose cover came off, with a nice new one underneath. It was a shock to me, but he looked like new, so hopefully Lilly will be able to do the same!

I’m sorry I don’t know the correct terminology here but hopefully you can undestand what I am trying to say.

Cheers for Lilly’s accomplishments so far!

Jo, Stella and Zkhat

12. February 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

Poor little girl – I cried just looking at the photo. She has to get better, she just has to!
    Ingrid King recently posted..Talking catsMy Profile

13. February 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

Poor Lilly! That face would have me crying too!
    Bassetmomma recently posted..Wordless Wednesday….Glorias’ TailMy Profile

14. February 15, 2012 at 7:57 am

Feel better Lily. Time for you to kick this thing to the curb!
    Brette Sember recently posted..Great Idea for ParchmentMy Profile